If you’re thinking about hiring a skip, there are a few things you need to consider to get the job done properly. Skip hire companies love it when everything runs smoothly, and so will you; so the better prepared you are, the better prepared they can be, it’s a win-win!
How big a skip do you need?
There is some great information on skip sizes in our site www.clickaskip.co.uk/skips/, we always suggest considering a skip that’s one size bigger than you think you need especially if you are uncertain about how much rubbish you really have. The bigger the skip, the lower the cost per cubic yard, which means one big skip is going to be cheaper than two small ones. For example, an Extra Large Mini Skip costs only a little more than a Small Mini Skip, but it contains almost twice the volume. This is going to save you time and money in the long run if the skip you hire initially is simply not big enough
Where can we place your skip?
It’s important for your skip delivery driver that there is enough space to put your skip where you want it to go, you can find dimensions on our web site; also bear in mind our delivery trucks are 6.82m long and 2.97m wide.
Will your skip be going on your own property or not? This is important as skips that are going to be placed on any public property, will need a permit from the council whici will cost money and may require a few days to obtain. If your skip is going on a road, you will need the permit as well as lights (usually on the top of cones or on the skip itself ) so that people and vehicles can see it. It’s worth mentioning that some roads, such as red routes in London or some with parking restrictions aren’t allowed to have skips placed on them at all.
If it is going on your property, you don’t need to worry about any of this, making your skip hire easier and cheaper too.
What can’t go in a skip?
Due to environmental laws and possible hazards to our collection teams, there are some items we can’t collect as part of the standard service.
- Large appliances like fridges, freezers, air conditioning units, television sets and CRT monitors which may contain chemicals that need specific disposal to prevent environmental damage.
- Paint tins with paint inside can’t go in your skip either, because of the chemicals within the mixture. Empty tins are fine though.
- Solvents, liquids, oils, petrol, diesel, batteries, fluorescent tubes, clinical waste, toxic materials and explosives all carry the risk of endangering our operatives.
- Plasterboard and gypsum are both covered by a different legislation, so we are not allowed to take quantities of them either.
- Tyres need to be disposed of differently to general and accepted waste types, and so we can’t take these (unless you made a special order)
- Sometimes domestic mattresses are subject to special disposal requirements.
- Asbestos is hazardous and can’t be reused or recycled. There are dedicated companies and services set up for handling this.
If you do need to get rid of this kind of item, we can usually help, but we need to know in advance; just give us a call on 0333 733 7547.
What about the timing of skip deliveries?
Most skip hire services offer a delivery service within 48 hours of booking, though sometimes there might be a same day option. You can request morning or afternoon delivery slots and we’ll confirm delivery on the day. A skip can be delivered without anyone present, but be sure to leave clear instructions and a phone number when you are making the booking to avoid any problems on the day of delivery.
Skip hire is generally for 2 weeks, we can collect sooner, of course, there is even a wait and load service; but if you need a skip for longer than 2 weeks, give us a call and we’ll see how we can help.
You can book your skip collection when you order, or you can choose the date for collection once it’s full. Book your collection on the web site using your order number, or give us a call Please give us a couple of days’ notice though
Ready to go?
Receive an instant quote by visiting www.ClickaSkip.co.uk or by calling our helpline on 0333 733 7547.